As I write this, it’s raining raining lightning hailing raining cool-breeze-beautiful-blue-flashes crackling crashing storming outside and I want to run out my door and spin around in the wind and lift my head back and woop and twirl holding hands with my brother while performing a made-up Madcap Helter Pelter Skelter Rain Dance together just like we did when we were kids at the coast and he afterwards said for the very first time that he was glad he had a sister and I was so happy so happy so happy I could burst.
But it’s late, and I’m scared that if I run outside in this wildness I might never stop running.
And so I’ll write about the smoothie I made earlier instead, while the lightning intermittently turns my room from dark-grey to diamond-blue-white and the floor rumbles beneath my feet as I imagine lions in the skies roaring at each other with a passion that defies reality.
I spy with my little eye… a Telstra Broadband stick, cinnamon, free mints from the plane, a business card from someone I met at a work meeting, the little box for my glass dharma straw, a fantasy novel, and my keys.
This Raspberry Pineapple smoothie is raw, vegan, made of only four (or five, or six) ingredients, perfectly balanced between sweetness and tanginess, thick and creamy, and exactly what you need on a 32 degree just before the heat breaks with one of the strongest, scariest, beautiful-est, longest, and crackling-est storms you’ve ever experienced.
This smoothie is also the perfect elixir to power you through an exuberant, breathless, gasping-sobbing, who-cares-if-the-world-sees Rain Dance… but I won’t tell if you won’t.
Raspberry Pineapple Smoothie
- 1 heaped scoop (25g) Sunwarrior Vanilla Protein Powder
- 1 cup (100g) frozen pineapple
- 1 medium banana, frozen (remember to peel and slice before freezing)
- 2/3 cup (80g) frozen raspberries
- 1 cup-ish cold water, or as much as you need to blend to your desired consistency
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- coconut, to garnish (optional, but scrumptious)
- Place all ingredients in a blender (Vita-Mix, wooooot!) and blend to creamy thick refreshing incredible sweet deliciousness.
I’m submitting this to Ricki’s Wellness Weekend, huzzah!
Question Time: If you were in Canberra, what were you doing during the storm? Did it keep you up until after 2:30am, like it did me? If you aren’t in Canberra (and why not?), are you a fan of thunderstorms?