A few months ago, I was sent (free of charge) an enormous jar of Tropical Traditions Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil to play around with and, if I wanted, host a giveaway for. (Host a giveaway for a brand-new jar, that is, not the one I’m halfway through.)
I’m not one to wax lyrical about the health claims of various “superfoods”, so I’ll leave that purported side of coconut oil alone. What I can say, however, is that I’ve been enjoying using this coconut oil in a great many food-related ways, including:
– The Roasting of Glorious Brussels Sprouts;
– The Stir-Frying of Assorted Other Glorious Vegetables;
– The Veganisation of an Australian Childhood Treat For My Work Colleagues (recipe to come); and
– The Baking of Cocoa Molasses Coconut Cookies, Also For My Work Colleagues.
I used this Soft Chocolate Molasses Cookies recipe from Serious Eats as my base, making the following changes (it’s a listpalooza today):
– Used melted coconut oil instead of butter
– Used blackstrap molasses which, I warn you, makes for an Intensey McIntense from Intensetown molasses flavour. Use non-blackstrap molasses for a milder flavour.
– Forgot to hold back half the granulated sugar for rolling, i.e. I added all the sugar into the batter in the first instance and didn’t roll the balls in more sugar before baking.
– I made about 35 cookies out of the recipe. And they weren’t tiny cookies, either. They were normal-sized cookies. America, YOU BE CRAZY. 14 cookies out of this recipe? THAT WOULD MAKE FOR COOKIES THE SIZE OF A SMALL CHILD.
Anyhoodle, the cookies were lovely. They were crisp on the outside but wonderfully chewy within, not-too-sweet yet still treat-like for sure, and with a deep molasses and cocoa flavour that felt very, well, “grown-up”. The coconut oil worked perfectly. Hurrah!
If you’re interested in winning an enormous (seriously; it’s a behemoth) jar of Tropical Traditional Virgin Coconut Oil yourself, read below for Tropical Traditions’ blurb and the giveaway details.
Win 1 quart of Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil!
Tropical Traditions is America’s source for coconut oil. Their Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil is hand crafted in small batches by family producers, and it is the highest quality coconut oil they offer. You can read more about how virgin coconut oil is different from other coconut oils on their website: What is Virgin Coconut Oil?
You can also watch the video they produced about Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil:
Tropical Traditions also carries other varieties of affordable high quality coconut oil. Visit their website to check on current sales, to learn about the many uses of coconut oil, and to read about all the advantages of buying coconut oil online. Since the FDA does not want us to discuss the health benefits of coconut oil on a page where it is being sold or given away, here is the best website to read about the health benefits of coconut oil.
To enter, subscribe to the Tropical Traditions Newsletter and leave a comment telling me you did so.
For extra entries (leave a comment for each one so that you do get the bonus entries):
Open to residents of the U.S. and Canada. (Note for Canadians: Tropical Traditions is not responsible for any customs or duties that Canada may charge for the prize’s delivery.) Winner will be chosen by random number generator on 18th April 2013.