What’s another quick and easy rice krispie treat recipe between friends? After all, today’s dairy-free, gluten-free, and (optionally) vegan recipe combines chocolate and peanut butter, which we all know is a match made in delicious heaven.
In the past, I’ve made both traditional and vegan rice krispie treats, multiple peanut butter rice krispie treats, toffee rice krispies treats, rice krispies treats using Special K cereal, and even a baked chocolate coconut bar topped with rice bubble icing.
Yet for all my years of stirring together puffed rice cereal, sweetener of the maple syrup, marshmallow, or honey kind, and various additional funtimes! ingredients, I’ve never once opted for the classic, addictive, moreish, oh-it’s-just-so-good duet of peanut butter and chocolate.
That had to change. So it changed. I can now proudly present to you this easy yet spectacular recipe for gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan (if you eat honey/swap the honey for brown rice syrup) Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats.
These rice krispies treats are really good, my friends. Opting for unsweetened dark chocolate adds depth and complexity to the final flavour, but feel free to use an 85% or 70%, or even a sweeter, chocolate if your tastes swing that way.
I’m going try making this with almond or cashew butter next (time I win the lottery).
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan
- 1/2 cup (155g) honey (use brown rice syrup for vegan)
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon (100g) peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups (90g) rice krispies/bubbles (certified gluten-free if needed)
- 1 ounce (28g) unsweetened dark chocolate (I used Baker’s), finely chopped
- Line a 20cm/8 inch square tin with parchment paper.
- In a medium-large saucepan over medium heat, stir together the honey, peanut butter, coconut oil, and vanilla extract until melted together and smooth.
- Take the saucepan off the heat and tip in the rice krispies and finely chopped chocolate, stirring gently until all the cereal is coated in the melted peanut butter mixture.
- Spoon the rice krispie mixture into prepared tin and pat down evenly. Place in fridge to set, then cut into squares and store in an air-tight container in the fridge or freezer (I’m sure you could also leave it out at room temperature, but I’ve not yet done this myself.)
- Sweet dreams are made of this.
Submitted to Healthy Vegan Friday.