Favourite things of the edible and savoury variety, that is.
After all, it would be hard to make a salad out of late night gigglefits with my housemate Sarah, hours spent talking and walking in the sun with the amazing Amelia, the heart-soaring card I received from a wonderful London-based reader-friend, or the crazy random happenstance that was seeing every breed of dog my family has ever owned (Airedale Terrier, Weimaraner, Poodle) in the space of an hour on Toronto’s streets.
I can’t eat any of those things.
Sweet, crispy, in-season, raw Brussels sprouts.
Chili flakes (always).
Zingy lemon juice and peppery olive oil.
Addictive, firm, buttery, umami-y, salty, addictive, did I mention addictive? lupini beans.
Yes indeed. Just a few of my favourite things, tumbled together to create a simple yet vibrant and nourishing lunch (along with a slice or two of pumpernickel bread).
I present to you my zingy vegan Lupini Bean and Brussels Sprouts Slaw.
Lupini Bean and Brussels Sprouts Slaw
Recipe by me
- 150g Brussels sprouts, finely shredded
- 1/2 cup lupini beans, rinsed
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar or maple syrup
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Toss the finely shredded Brussels sprouts and lupini beans together in a bowl.
2. In a little jug, stir together the garlic, thyme, chili flakes, lemon juice, olive oil, sugar, salt and pepper. Pour over the sprouts and beans, and toss to combine.
3. Check for seasoning, adding a little more of whatever your heart desires to create the perfect balance of flavour for you. Serve with a slice of pumpernickel bread, a lovely glass of wine, and laughter. Always laughter.