Come to mama.
Yes. With a bonus side of yes. Yes.
How can it be wrong when it feels so right?
I wish I knew how to quit you.
These blondies were an experiment that went exuberantly wonderfully magnificently right. It all started when my hands, completely of their own volition and in breach of my mind’s demand that they leave well enough alone, reached for a bag of butterscotch chips at my local supermarket.
It continued when the word “blondies!” popped into my head as I pondered what new treat to bake for my beloved colleagues to further (following the success of the Chocolate Chip Coconut Macaroons) illustrate my joy at working with them.
So I created these Salted Peanut Butterscotch Blondies off the top of my head, and spent the entire time they were baking in the oven and cooling on the counter fretting over whether they’d taste any good at all.
Well, these blondies didn’t just taste good. They tasted devastatingly incredible. With a perfectly crackly-crispy top and crust, a dense, moist, almost-chewy and always-butterscotch-sweet middle, and everywhere large nubbins of salted roasted peanuts ensuring that every bite was a minor miracle, these are perhaps my very favourite non-vegan non-raw non-dairy-free non-gluten-free recipe creation of all time.
Don’t just take my word for it, either. One of my colleagues emailed the team with “They are perfection. Seriously. Eat one!”, while another wrote “Oh. My. God. I’m dying. Literally dying. These are so good.”
I maybe had to hide my face a little bit to cope with the happy feelings at that point.
Perhaps I don’t need to quit these blondies after all.
Salted Peanut Butterscotch Blondies
Recipe by me
Makes around 24 (I can’t quite remember)
- 3/4 cup (185g/1 1/2 sticks) butter
- 2 cups (400g) brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (210g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (170g) butterscotch chips
- 1 1/2 cups (170g) roasted salted peanuts (I didn’t chop mine, but you can if you’d like. Personal choice hurrah!)
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Grease and line a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Melt the butter in a medium-large saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat, then stir in the brown sugar, salt and vanilla extract until combined, and let cool slightly (just five minutes or so; nothing crazy. I’m not saying you should go watch an episode of The West Wing or anything).
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing through after each addition. Stir in the flour until combined.
- Gently fold through the butterscotch chips and salted peanuts. Pour batter into the prepared pan, then bake for 25 – 30 minutes (I did 28, and to me they were perfect. I like to err on the side of underbaking rather than overbaking blondies; it makes for an addictive, enticing soft chewiness). Cool completely before slicing.
- Hooooooooo boy.