I left Cedar City three weeks ago, and yet in many ways it feels more like three months. Before all the details lose their shining clarity in my mind, here’s a final post of some of the things I miss most about that lovely place:
1. Spotting rainbow clouds in the sky.
2. Eating candy bars under the pretense that they’re nutritionally-sound snacks.
3. Trying not to be scared by the giant tornado-haired fairy woman outside the Randall L. Jones Theatre. (She haunts me in my sleep, still. The other night I dreamed she was chasing me with a stick made of eyeballs, and then she turned into an invisible dragon AND I DIDN’T KNOW WHERE SHE WAS ANYMORE.)
4. Taking sneaky ninja photos of old women in Big Bird t-shirts and sneakers casually knitting next to William Shakespeare.
5. Trying to find one single person in the whole city who had actually ordered the menudo at Roberto’s, and failing.
6. Building couchforts with Sam in which to eat chocolate and watch Harry Potter movies (as well as the occasional Crash Course World History episode).
7. Playing Cornhole into the witching hours with new friends, then moping into the witching hours with new friends about how someone stole the Cornhole boards, and then playing Cornhole with brand new boards into the witching hours with new friends (Chris, you are a legend for getting those new boards made).
8. Friends. Wonderful friends.
9. Discovering – two and a half years after I first bought it – that my dress has pockets, and then demanding that someone take a photo as proof. You know, just in case the pockets were magical circumstantial pockets and didn’t exist (again?) the next morning.
9 1/2. Photobombing friends.
10. Did I mention friends? Hi Ezra! Hi!
11. Finding out that it’s impossible to look truly sultry and sophisticated when the shot in your hand is radioactively bright pink (and passionfruit-flavoured).
12. And, last but not least, the gorgeous, stunning, gorgeous landscape of Utah. (Before long, I reckon I’ll be missing the heat with a desperate passion, too.)