I am overwhelmed. Overwhelmed, awed, stunned, and grateful beyond measure for the outpouring of excitement, enthusiasm, and kindness you sent following my announcement that I’ve quit my job, upped sticks, and am throwing all caution to the wind to take off on a grand adventure.
I cannot thank you enough for your responses. You have buoyed my heart and instilled in me the deep certainty that I’m doing the right thing (or, at least, the right thing for me, right now). I feel better prepared to beat back the doubts that whisper I should stay safe and squishy in my current routine, the routine that promises each day will be exactly like the last.
The thing is, I don’t want to know exactly how each day will play out. I want to wake up to a new city and new faces around me; I want to step outside and walk for hours, following paths chosen by whim and fancy. I want to trip and stumble and graze my knees on cobblestones I never before knew existed, and I want to brush myself off and do a little jig, knowing that the strangers around me don’t know who I am but are enjoying a little giggle at my momentary loss of dignity.
I want to treat myself to something delicious as a reward for keeping my head high, something delicious not available in Australia, something delicious that tastes all the better for knowing it’s perfect for that moment.
And I want to tell you about my moments. I’m beyond-giddiness thrilled that you, too, want me to. If I could thank you by sending out gift bags filled with sequins, googly eyes, and chocolate-covered giggles, I would.
Instead, I offer you these No-Bake Vegan Black Forest Cake Truffle Bites. They’re rich but not cloying, chocolate-y but also fruity and nutty, a healthy option for a sweet craving and, if you eat enough of them, the kirsch might just give you the chocolate-covered giggles I was talking about.
Thank you for cheering me on and coming along for the ride. You deserve a heel click.
High-Raw Vegan Black Forest Cake Bites
Makes 15 – 20, depending on the size you roll them. Adapted from my Raw Vegan Chocolate Brownie Bites.
- 3/4 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1 cup Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tb kirsch, cherry brandy, or cherry liqueur (optional, to taste)
- Pinch salt
- 2 tb cocoa powder
- 3 tb dark chocolate, chopped
- 3 tb dried cherries, chopped
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the nuts until finely chopped.
- Add in the dates, vanilla, kirsch or cherry brandy, salt, and cacao powder, and pulse until everything is incorporated and the mixture sticks together when pressed between your fingers. (If you don’t use kirsch/brandy, you may need to throw in a few more dates to get the mixture to the right consistency.)
- Tip in the chopped dark chocolate and cherries, and pulse briefly to combine.
- Roll into balls and store in the fridge or freezer. If you take them to work, I can’t be held responsible for any emails written to your boss whilst tipsy.
Submitted to Ricki’s Wellness Weekend.