While searching last night for a work document saved to an unknown destination on my laptop, I stumbled across a page of dreamily-written notes secretly stored during the witching hours of a black-shining night in Florida.
I closed my eyes and there were memories, memories.
The low murmur of voices around a hotel pool at midnight, musicians and actors alike laughing and talking about the night’s performance as well as a myriad topics utterly unrelated to the here and now (the there and then).
The burnished glow of beer bottles being tipped to mouths, fragments of moonlight catching in the glass (in one of those perfect moments of synchronicity, the beer itself was Blue Moon). Figures coming and going, shifting and settling, leaning forward to talk deeply then pulling back to reveal the gold-red glow of a cigarette.
A blanket being tucked around my bare legs as the night grew darker and our movements slower, the air cooler. Smiles that felt only.
There were cookies on the hotel’s courtyard tables that night in Coral Springs, I remember. And while they certainly weren’t gluten-free and dairy-free Coconut Pecan Macaroons, I’d like to think these creations of mine would have been warmly received had my hotel room come equipped with an oven.
In truth, there’s no real connection between my aforementioned memories and today’s honey-infused macaroons, except that both fill my heart with happiness. After the success of my Coconut and Pecan Friands with Raspberries, I knew that further experimentation with homemade pecan meal and coconut was in order.
Soft, sticky, and chewy, these simple five-ingredient macaroons are wonderfully delicious and easy to make. I gave some to my parents and took others to work, whereupon one of my colleagues exclaimed “These are incredible!” upon taking her first bite, and E.Moonbeams clapped her hands when I offered her a second (macaroon, not bite).
Oh, now my heart is all pangs, because E.Moonbeams is moving on from my workplace soon and I can’t stand the thought of not having her nearby every day.
I think I need a cookie.
Gluten-free and Dairy-free Coconut Pecan Macaroons
Adapted from Healthful Pursuit’s 5 Ingredient Chewy Vanilla Coconut Cookies
- 1 cup (110g) pecans
- 1 1/2 cups (125g) desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup honey (I used Manuka honey)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- In a food processor, pulse pecans to a fine meal (don’t take this too far or you’ll end up with pecan butter. Which is, admittedly, a delicious treat fit for the gods, but not the best for making these macaroons).
- In a large bowl, mix the pecan meal with all other ingredients until combined.
- Drop heaping tablespoons of the mixture onto the lined baking trays (my mixture was very soft, so don’t stress if yours is too).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden. Devour, potentially winning super life points with family and colleagues if you choose to share.
Question Time: What is a memory that you hold close to your heart, and which fills you with happy calm when you remember it?