I know that my posts of late have been rather verbose (by the by, thank you so much for your incredible responses to yesterday’s post). As a result, I’ll try keep to today’s short-and-sweet for you.
1. This vegan Maple Coconut Tahini Granola is quite possibly the best granola I’ve ever made (although I’ll always have a soft spot for The Tall, Dark, and Handsome Granola of Your Dreams, aka my Spiced Fig, Pepita, and Molasses Granola).
2. It’s sweet but not-too-sweet, as the tahini, sesame and sunflower seeds, and dried fruit contribute a rich depth that nicely balances out the floral maple syrup.
3. The coconut oil lends not only a beautiful aroma and subtle flavour to this granola, but also the most incredible crispiness and actual, actual, actual granola clumps that I’ve never managed to create before.
4. I made this granola for my brother, who is without a doubt the very best brother in the entire world.
5. I know this to be true because he’s the only brother I’ve ever had. Bow before my logic!
6. But really, E.TeacherLord is amazing. His courage, talent, humour, kindness, generosity, handsomeness, and ability to do crazy things like run marathons represent but a smidgeon of his incredibleness.
7. E.TeacherLord is wonderful because he not only has my back, he also takes care of my heart and soul by unfailingly supporting, encouraging, and laughing with me.
8. Although he did once sit on my head.
10. Luckily for you, you don’t have to be my brother to make or enjoy this granola. You just have to be human.
11. Wait, no, you don’t even need to be human. You could also be a gorgeous puppy-bear.
Maple Coconut Tahini Granola
aka Quite Possibly My Best Granola Yet
- 2 2/3 cups (245g) rolled oats
- 2/3 cup (65g) oat bran
- 1 cup (75g) desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup (60g) sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup (60g) sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (I used Grade A here)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar (or, if your pantry is a bit bare like mine, use caster sugar plus an splash of golden syrup)
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 3/4 cup (90g) dried cranberries (craisins)
- 3/4 cup (90g) sultanas
- Preheat oven to 170°C (340°F).
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, oat bran, coconut, sesame and sunflower seeds.
- In a small saucepan over low heat (or in the microwave), stir together the maple syrup, coconut oil, sugar, and tahini until all is melted and combined.
- Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry and stir to combine.
- Spread the granola mixture between two large baking trays and bake in the oven for 18 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
- Stir in the dried cranberries and sultanas, then bake for another 6-8 minutes until the granola is turning golden brown and the deliciousness of the aroma is making your heart do a happy dance.
- Leave to cool, emitting little squeaks of joy as you notice that, for once, you’ve managed to make a granola that truly has clumps of utter deliciousness. When the granola has cooled, start taking spoonfuls to everyone in your house for them to try. It’s best if you tower over each person, proclaiming “Tell me this isn’t the best granola you’ve ever tasted!”
- Nod sagely every time they admit it really is the best granola they’ve ever tasted.
- My work here is done.