Perhaps what I’ve been taught (or reminded of) most in recent weeks is that this world of ours can be just as terrifying as it is beautiful, and that empathy, kindness, and love are traits that we all, as humans, friends, family members, partners, and strangers, need to cling to and embody in our daily lives.
My thoughts are with all those affected by the natural disasters that have wreaked havoc across the world in recent months. I wish I could snap my fingers and make the tragedy go away. Unfortunately, no one woke up today and designated me fairy godmother, and so the little I can do is, if I’m lucky, provide a little respite and distraction. And maybe, just maybe, something to smile about.
What This World Of Ours Has Taught Me Recently
1. It’s really embarrassing when your first thought upon seeing Harry Potter-branded packaged cake mix isn’t “What a horrible capitalist co-optation of a beloved story! Why I oughta!” but “Oh no! I don’t know what a Lenticular is! I have been shamed!”
2. If something labelled “pudding” reminds you less of dessert than it does the La Brea Tar Pits, which gave you nightmares as a kid, you probably shouldn’t eat it.
Because if you do eat it, you’ll probably have nightmares, at age 23, about sinking into an abyss of evil black pudding.
3. You know you’ve found the kindest pilot-man in history when he remembers an offhand comment you made about almond butter months and months ago, and then sends you a jar of your favourite kind from halfway across the world, just because.
It makes you choke up a little.
4. Getting your mum to take ridiculous photos of you in public will always come back to bite you.
6. If in doubt, eat MAN BEANS.
(Modelled by the gorgeous and not-very-manly Lizzi.)
[Insert soymilk photo here]
7. Under no conditions should you be tempted to buy fat-free soy milk because it’s ridiculously cheap. You will soon discover that the reason fat-free soy milk is ridiculously cheap is because it’s pretty much just water. Water that looks and tastes like what goes down the drain after you’ve washed and conditioned your hair in the bathtub.
8. The world is a less scary place when you face it with a Cabbage Patch doll by your side.