May I present to you a plate of my engagement brownies?
No, silly. These are not “my engagement” brownies. These are my “engagement brownies”.
See the subtle difference there?
Let me phrase this another way:
No matter how often I start singing “Matchmaker” from Fiddler on the Roof upon entering my parents’ house, they still haven’t arranged a marriage for me.
Sheesh. It’s like they think we’re living in the 21st century or something, and that such a huge decision should be up to me. I know, right? Craziness.
But that’s enough about my love life.
I made these brownies as part of an engagement present for my dear friend Ash, who turns out to have good taste in not only television shows but men. I told her I’d bake her a batch of anything she wanted, and she picked straight-up-and-rich-if-you-please chocolate brownies.
I’m pretty sure this recipe fit the bill.
Congratulations again, Ash and Andrew. You’re both wonderful.
Fudge “Engagement” Brownies
From Brownies, Fudges and Toppings
- 150g butter
- 200g dark chocolate
- 2/4 cup (185g) caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1cup (125g) plain flour, sifted.
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Grease a 20cm (8 inch) square tin with butter and line the base with baking paper.
2. Melt the butter, chocolate, and sugar in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally. (Make sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water below.) Remove from heat.
3. Beat in the eggs and vanilla, then fold in the sifted flour. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 25-30 minutes. (Note: The original recipe said 35 minutes, which I steadfastly counsel against. I did mine for 28 minutes, and wouldn’t really want to do any longer.)
4. Remove from the oven and cool in tin before turning out and giving to your newly-engaged-and-glowing friend.