Two things have happened in recent days of which I am inordinately proud:
1. I was driving down a busy (well, relatively speaking; this is Canberra, after all) road at 80 kilometres an hour when I saw, out of the corner of my eye, a spider crawling down one of the ringlets that falls to the side of my face.
I didn’t crash the car and cause an horrific accident on Adelaide Avenue.
Those of you who were around for the Great Spider Sock Incident of 2010 will surely understand what an achievement this was.
2. I made up my own flavour of no-bake raw-ish vegan snack balls. I call them my Tropical Australian Raw-ish No-Bake Vegan Treat Snack Balls, because they have mango in them. Mango, that most beloved-by-Australians of fruits.
I’m going to tag this recipe as “raw”, although whether or not you make a truly raw or simply a no-bake version will depend on the type of dried mango you use. My dried mango, which was from the Phillipines via Costco, probably isn’t 100% raw.
It is, however, 100% delicious. As are these no-bake raw-ish vegan snack balls. While making these, I couldn’t help thinking that some coconut would work fabulously alongside the other ingredients. But alas! I’d wasted all my coconut on a failed attempt at making coconut butter. (Dear Mum and Dad, I promise I didn’t make your food processor smoke when I was house-sitting…)
So what are you waiting for? Go forth and make these delicious chewy morsels of terrificality! For those of you who find that raw desserts sometimes taste only of dates and nuts, I think I’m comfortable asserting that the many ingredients in this particular recipe cohere into a more rounded, caramelly, mango-tinted, and nutty-buttery treat.
Also, if in doubt, eat them dipped into vegan chocolate spread or non-vegan Nutella.
Not that I did that, or anything. No sirree. (Lies!)
Raw Vegan Mango, Date, and Sunflower Tropical Energy Balls
How many different names can I possibly apply to one recipe? I do apologise for my inconsistency.
Makes… well, it really depends on how big you like your balls. I think I made around 20.
- 1/2 cup (60g) raw cashews
- 1/2 cup (60g) raw sunflower seeds
- 2/3 cup (100g) medjool dates
- 2/3 cup (90g) dried mango
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- pinch salt
- 2-3 tsp water, if needed
1. Tip everything (except for the water) into a food processor and pulse until the mixture comes together in a cohesive and slightly-sticky ball. Add water if needed.
2. Roll into balls and store in the freezer. (Or roll in shredded coconut and then store in the freezer. Or dip into Nutella/Sweet William Chocolate Spread and then store in you tummy.)
Question Time: What have you done lately that you’re proud of?