The following is a list of things I didn’t have the courage to do last week, but which I retrospectively wish I had:
1. Buy the jug puppy that stared at me with its sad little pet-store-encaged eyes for ten minutes, tail wagging. (I’ll have you know that my metaphorical tail was wagging back just as enthusiastically.) If only my housemate didn’t prefer cats, and my apartment complex allowed pets…
2. Tell the teenager who was sucking on a pink lollypop outside a club at 1am whilst wearing a Supré dress with a cut-out back and an inability to fully cover her bottom that if “porn-star prostitute” was the look she was going for, then she just hit the jackpot.
3. Edit that extremely-long-and-slightly-convoluted previous sentence.
4. See Black Swan. Actually, no, I take that back. Lizzi, I much preferred our coffee-and-supermarket adventure to the original movie-watching plan.
5. Make these raw vegan cocoa-dusted marzipan balls. Because if I’d made these raw vegan cocoa-dusted marzipan balls last week, I’d have been snacking on them for days already. When I think about all the tummy space I’ve wasted recently on pumpernickel bread and carrots, all because these marzipan balls didn’t yet exist… it makes me sad.
This is another extremely quick and easy yet stupendously tasty snack-treat recipe. Those of you who hate marzipan, I understand if you’re averting your eyes right now. (Just remember our deal: I eat the marzipan, you eat the orange-infested desserts.)
Me, though, I love the almond-intense fragrance and flavour of marzipan. I also love the swoon-worthy caramel sweetness of dark agave syrup. In fact, you wouldn’t be entirely wrong if you accused me of searching for recipes that use agave just so I can lick the measuring spoon afterwards.
a) I felt that the sweetness of the marzipan needed the counterpoint of cocoa’s bitterness.
b) I couldn’t be bothered making a chocolate coating.
c) I still really want that jug puppy.
And now, if you’ll excuse me, I have some antioxidant-endorphin-and-calcium-containing-low-gi-orbs-of-wonder to eat.
P.S. I highly recommend adding a bit more agave to the leftover cacao and cinnamon dusting mixture and eating the now-icing-like creation with a spoon.
Raw Vegan Cocoa-Dusted Marzipan Balls
Makes 10-15, depending on size. Adapted from The Bee’s Knees Kitchen.
- 1 1/4 cups (125g) ground almonds
- 1/4 cup agave syrup
- 1/4 tsp almond essence
- 1 tb cacao powder (use raw cacao if you want this recipe to be 100% raw)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1. In a small-medium sized bowl, stir together the ground almond, agave, and almond essence. Using damp hands, roll half tablespoons of the mixture into compact little balls. If you can’t resist the urge to lick your fingers occasionally, it’s probably best you wash your hands every now and again. OHS and all.
2. Sift together (I didn’t bother…) the cocoa and cinnamon, then roll the naked marzipan balls in the cocoa so that they don’t have to be ashamed of themselves like that Supré teenager probably should have been. (I know I sound like a grandma, but dear heavens. She really wasn’t much dressed at all.)
3. Store in the fridge. Ta-daa!